Friday, April 6, 2012

The Fig Tree Bears Fruit...


The fig tree we planted last year began to push out leaves about two weeks ago. I was working in the garden over the weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised to see tiny figs forming. To be honest, I initially was shocked to see the fruit already on the trees without seeing any flowers. Then I remembered that what we commonly think is the fig "fruit" is actually something termed a "syconium". This is a hollow, fleshy structure that houses many flowers each with an ovary.... basically, all the flowers are inside the fig "fruit". There is a tiny hole at the end of the fig "fruit" that allows a special wasp (from the family Agaonidae) to climb inside and pollinate the fruit. I won't go into the details of the pollination process or the life cycle of the Agaonid wasps... I don't want to ruin this great fruit for you.

Now in reality, my figs won't ripen for another 2-3 months. Unfortunately I will have moved out of my home by then. But that is one of the things I have really enjoyed about gardening and experimenting with Permaculture. I get things started. I get things growing. I get to enjoy, literally sometimes, the fruits of my labors... and sometimes I don't. But that is okay. I hope that I have a hand in getting others excited about producing food in their own backyards. Maybe once they eat off a tree I planted years ago, they will get over their fear of natural foods, their fear of growing their own food, their fear of planting a seed or planning a garden. They will return to the cycle humans which are designed.

That is my hope.





1 comment:

  1. شركة نقل عفش بتبوك
    شركة نقل عفش بابها
    شركة نقل عفش بنجران
    شركة نقل عفش بحائل





    شركة سكاي لخدمات نقل العفش والاثاث بالمنطقة العربية السعودية نحن نوفر خدمات نقل اثاث بالرياض ونقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة ونقل عفش بمكة ونقل عفش بالطائف نحن نقدم افضل نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط ونقل عفش بجدة
    شركة سكاي نقل العفش
    مدونة لنقل العفش
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض

    ReplyDelete