Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Book Review: Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds

 

I don't know what is the exact reason, maybe it is my love of animals, my love of agriculture, my interest in science, or just how I am, but I love animal guide books.  And a guide book on animals that can be used on a homestead?  I am captivated!

Carol Ekarius is yet another of my favorite agricultural authors.  She has written about a half-dozen books and quite a bit more articles that are featured in homesteading and small farm magazines.

In her Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds, she takes her passion and talent for writing on raising agricultural animals and has produced a very in-depth guide book on the common homestead poultry (chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys) as well as some brief information on the much less common poultry that may be raised (emus, guinea fowl, ostriches, partridges, peafowl, pheasants, quails, and swans).

The book is fairly exhaustive for breeds of common poultry that can be found in North America.  A few paragraphs, an informative fact box, and fantastic photos of each breed are included.  This is a great reference book if you plan on raising chickens, ducks, geese, or turkeys.  On top of that, Carol Ekarius is donating a portion of her proceeds for this book to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.  

I highly recommend this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment