Friday, July 20, 2012

Nature and Human Health... The Big Disconnect

(click on the image to see it larger)

I have previously written about why I, as a physician, among many other reasons, am so excited about what Permaculture can do for us as individuals and as communities (read that article here). I came across this chart yesterday and really wanted to share it. This comes from the David Suzuki Foundation, a Canadian-based organization with the following mission and vision:
  • Our mission is to protect the diversity of nature and our quality of life, now and for the future.
  • Our vision is that within a generation, Canadians act on the understanding that we are all interconnected and interdependent with nature.

I couldn't agree more with their goals. The bottom line is that we, as humans, truly need to be outside in nature. It is vital to our health. Take a close look at the graph, and tell me if you don't agree.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I totally agree with this! I read Prince Charles book, Harmony, and he had mentioned it in there as well. The disconnect came as a way to make money, plain and simple and much of the world fell for it. It is so sad that humanity is so easily decieved.

    But, kudos to the people who are "getting it" and climbing out of the rabbit hole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad. Unfortunately, I think that is just the "way of the world". If things are easier and cheaper, then the majority of us don't question it, at least not until it may be too late.

    Thanks for the comments. My wife thinks you are quite classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed every bit of your blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool. @ Packers And Movers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete